As many of us prepare to celebrate July 4th, barbecues, swimming and fireworks are likely highlights! But while Independence Day celebrations can provide great summer memories, they can also be the most dangerous. Accidents can and do happen. So as the fun-filled weekend approaches, make sure you’re prepared for some of the risks associated with the holiday. Here are a few tips from our friends at Insurance Information Institute:
- July 4th is a popular vacation time and theft rates tend to increase as homes and businesses are left empty. Be sure to ask a trusted neighbor, person or service to check on your home or business while you are away.
- If you’re hosting a BBQ, make sure your grill is clean and located a safe distance away from your house.
- Keep children and pets away from open flames or grills; call 911 for serious incidents.
- If you’re around a pool, make sure young children are accompanied by an adult and that proper protections are in place (e.g. fence).
- Check your pool or party area for potential accident hazards such as glass, electronics, toys, etc.
- Skip your own fireworks display and attend a local celebration.
Have a happy and safe Fourth of July!
This article is provided for general informational purposes only and does not constitute and is not intended to take the place of legal or risk management advice. Readers should consult their own counsel or other representatives for any such advice. Any and all external websites or sources referred to herein are for informational purposes only and are not affiliated with or endorsed by OneBeacon Insurance Group. OneBeacon Insurance Group hereby disclaims any and all liability arising out of the information contained herein.